Every day we help folks improve their relationships with their pets. A little education, understanding & patience from humans has a huge impact on their pets’ behavior. As a result, cats, dogs & their people enjoy sweeter lives together. So, really, we capture the spirit of Valentine’s Day every day around here. We dedicate this post to celebrating & sharing that lovin’ feeling with pets and pet-lovers in your life – year round!
Play together, stay together - Try these toys to keep your pet moving; prevent boredom-based problem behaviors; and brighten each day!
- Read our lists of recommended cat toys & dog toys. We’re always updating them.
- Just for Kitty for Valentine’s Day: As always, Modern Cat is a great source for creative additions to Fluffy’s life. We love their Chocolate Covered Strawberries; Modkicker Catnip Toys; and Felt Rollers. And paws-up for their jack-of-all trades invention: the Stow Cat Toy Storage, Scratch & Play Center! Or tackle DesignSponge’s DIY scratching pad. Your cat will thank you!
- Just for Pup on Valentine’s Day: How about a heart-shaped tennis ball to keep fetch fun? Or a girly-pink heart tag for the doggie-diva in your life? Maybe Kong’s new, tough Heart Throb toy is more your pooch’s style. Our fave poodle, Rusty, reviews dog toys. (It’s a ruff life, we know.) Visit his blog for ideas…..
How can you show your pets you love them? Understand what they need from you:
- Read Amy Shojai’s “10 Tips to Show Cats Love“
- Read Kristine’s post, “A Letter to My Dog“. It’s a thoughtful, humorous, heartfelt agreement to meet her dog, Shiva, halfway. (Well, really more than half-way…) It’s a great reminder of the parts we play in the relationships with our dogs, and how a little understanding goes a very long way.
- And, a humorous list of what Pup would like from you: “10 Canine Commandments“.
Gifts for your pet-loving valentine…. The best ones last or give back!
- Blue Witch cat and dog mugs are more artistic than annoying. (We know it’s a fine line.)
- Pattern and Paw’s Cone Cat t-shirt is perfect for folks in veterinary, shelter or rescue fields. Quirky-cute & funny.
- Buy this t-shirt & save a pit bull, through 2/28/11. And, it’s green! Woof!
- The Grey Muzzle Organization’s “I Love Old Dogs” pearl bracelet is sweet. It comes gift-boxed, and the proceeds benefit senior dogs.
- For the exotic fashionista, we recommend this canine t-shirt from Nika Collection in Turkey.
- Yogamatic offers personalized yoga mats. Send a pic of your pet, and they’ll put it on a mat. New meaning for downward dog!
- Join the Lu Parker Project: Donate the cost of a Kuranda bed for a shelter dog, and they’ll send your valentine a bouquet of flowers. Lovely.
Last but not least, keep your furry Valentines smelling sweet:
- This is Pet Dental Month. Watch these videos on how to brush your cat’s and dog’s teeth. (Yes, you can & you should.) Visit your vet for regular dental exams & cleanings. (We DO NOT recommend anesthesia-free cleanings. Watch to learn why.) See how Rusty keeps his canines sparkling.
- It’s skunk season (ugh). Here’s the de-skunking 411. You’re welcome. (Have you seen little Iso bathing in slow motion? Awwww…..)
Happy Valentine’s Day – every day!
© 2011 Critter Consulting